Select map overlay (mouse clicking on the map turn overlays on/off):
1841 Ordnance Survey First Series 1:63360 (1805-1869)
1866 Bartholomew (published in The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales)
1903 Ordnance Survey of England and Wales Revised New Series 1:253440 (1902-5)
1945 Ordnance Survey New Popular Edition 1:63360 (1945-8)
This work incorporates historical material provided by the Great Britain
Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth through their web site
A Vision of Britain through Time.
Bartholomew map provided by Ancestry Images
free image archive of historical prints.
Other historic map resources and links
OpenStreetMap OOC (Out Of Copyright) - http://ooc.openstreetmap.org/
- Including some historical (out of copyright) maps, particularly
OS NPE 1:50k (1945-55): "New Popular Edition"
National Library Scotland OS NPE 50k Maps
- only streamable, but designed to be used in mashup
- free download of original map sheets
http://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/osmap.html - a collection of old OS maps,
viewable online with a variable-transparency google map overlay on top.
Ordnance Survey OpenData
- free (downloadable) data from OS
- includes APIs for website/app map inclusion
Ordnance Survey OpenSpace
API allows for access to high quality OS explorer mapping too:
- embedded streaming (only) for web-pages & mobile apps
- can include high quality 1:50k rasters
- free online access to the historic tithe maps which together span the modern
Leeds Metropolitan District.
- British Library Insurance Plan of Leeds (1902)
- gives indication of land use
Academic Research only
Digimap (EDINA) http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/: a large collection of historic Ordnance Survey
Maps are available:
Town plans at scales 1:500, 1:528 and 1:1056: 1st Edition (1848 - 1908),
2nd Edition (1864 - 1911), 3rd Edition (1893 - 1923), 4th Edition (1935 - 1939).